Bisbee was founded as a copper, gold, and silver mining town in 1880, and named in honor of Judge DeWitt Bisbee, one of the financial backers of
the adjacent Copper Queen Mine. In 1929, the county seat was moved from Tombstone, Arizona to Bisbee, where it remains.
A syndicated television series which aired from 1956-1958, Sheriff of Cochise starring John Bromfield, was filmed in Bisbee.
Once known as â€œthe Queen of the Copper Campsâ€�, this Old West mining camp proved to be one of the richest mineral sites in the world,
producing nearly three million ounces of gold and more than eight billion pounds of copper, not to mention the silver, lead and zinc that came
from these rich Mule Mountains. By the early 1900s, the Bisbee community was the largest city between St. Louis and San Francisco.
|Bisbee, with a population of over 20,000 people in the early 1900â€™s, had become one of the most cultured cities in the Southwest. Despite its
culture, however, the rough edges of the mining camps could be found in notorious Brewery Gulch, with its saloons and shady ladies. Brewery
Gulch, which in its heyday boasted upwards of 47 saloons and was considered the "liveliest spot between El Paso and San Francisco". Bisbee
offered other recreational pursuits in that it was home to the stateâ€™s first community library, a popular opera house, the stateâ€™s oldest ball
fields and the stateâ€™s first golf course. In 1908, a fire ravaged most of Bisbee's commercial district along Main Street, leaving nothing but a
pile of ashes, but the residents of Bisbee quickly began reconstruction and by 1910, most of the district had been rebuilt and remains completely
|MORE GHOST ADVENTURES
WITH COLONEL G. RUSH
|BISBEE MINING MUSEUM