Bisbee was founded as a copper, gold, and silver mining town in 1880, and named in honor of Judge DeWitt Bisbee, one of the
financial backers of the adjacent Copper Queen Mine. In 1929, the county seat was moved from Tombstone, Arizona to
Bisbee, where it remains.A syndicated television series which aired from 1956-1958, Sheriff of Cochise starring John
Bromfield, was filmed in Bisbee. Once known as "the Queen of the Copper Camps", this Old West mining camp proved
to beone of the richest mineral sites in the world, producing nearly three million ounces of gold and more than eight
billion pounds of copper, not to mention the silver, lead and zinc that came from these rich Mule Mountains. By the
early 1900s, the Bisbee community was the largest city between St. Louis and San Francisco.
|Bisbee, with a population of over 20,000 people in the early 1900's, had become one of the most cultured cities in the
Southwest. Despite its culture, however, the rough edges of the mining camps could be found in notorious Brewery Gulch,
with it's saloonsand shady ladies. Brewery Gulch, which in its heyday boasted upwards of 47 saloons and was considered the
"liveliest spot between El Paso and San Francisco". Bisbee offered other recreational pursuits in that it was home to the
state's first community library, a popular opera house, the state's oldest ball fields and the state's first golf course.
In 1908, a fire ravaged most of Bisbee'scommercial district along Main Street, leaving nothing but a pile of ashes, but the
residents of Bisbee quickly began reconstruction and by 1910, most of the district had been rebuilt and remains
completely intact today.
|MORE GHOST ADVENTURES
WITH COLONEL G. RUSH
|BISBEE MINING MUSEUM