Cemeteries and churches are always an integral part of any community's identity. Cities like Pittsburgh and New York have many
churches for residents to choose from. Large inter-denominational churches like the Times Square Church in New York, led by Pastor
Carter Conlon, often have thousands of people who worship there every week.
BALTIMORE & OHIO  (B&O) STATION - Pittsburg
All rights reserved.
ART WORK OF PITTSBURG
1893
1893
FORWARD AVENUE, FROM TERRACE RIDGE - Squirrel Hill
UNITED STATES ARSENAL - Pittsburg
PITTSBURG AND THE ALLEGHENY RIVER FROM MT. WASHINGTON - 1893
A MONUMENT IN
ALLEGHENY CEMETERY
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Allegheny City
DUQUESNE CLUB AND GERMAN
NATIONAL BANK - Pittsburgh
THE ASYLUM DRIVEWAY - Dixmont
VIEW AT DIXMONT
COURT HOUSE - Pittsburg
THE POST OFFICE - Pittsburg
WESTMINSTER PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Allegheny City
MECHANICAL HALL  
EXPOSITION BUILDING - Pittsburg
SIXTH AVENUE, FROM LIBERTY STREET - Pittsburg
WHY IN THESE OLD PHOTOS IS PITTSBURGH SPELLED WITHOUT AN 'H'?
Pittsburgh, named by General John Forbes in honor of Sir William Pitt, has officially ended in an 'h' since its founding in 1758 with the
exception of the time period from 1890-1911. In 1890, President Benjamin Harrison established the t10-man U.S. Board on Geographic Names
to help restore order to the naming of cities, towns, rivers, lakes, mountains and other places throughout the U.S. At the time, some states
actually had as many as five different towns with the same name which, understandably, caused confusion.

One of the first codes established by the new Board to help restore order to U.S. place names was that the final 'h' should be dropped from the
names of all cities and towns ending in 'burgh.' The proud citizens of Pittsburgh, considering their town an obvious historical exception to this
ruling, refused to give in to the Board's ruling and mounted a campaign to keep the traditional spelling. Twenty years later, in 1911, the Board
finally relented and restored the 'h' to Pittsburgh. To this day people remain confused!
There are 18 other towns in the United States called "Pittsburg."
THE HOSTETTER RESIDENCE - Pittsburg (4848 5th Avenue)
WEST ON RIDGE AVENUE - Allegheny City
BALTIMORE & OHIO  (B&O) STATION - Pittsburg
WHERE THE HECK IS ALLEGHENY CITY?
Allegheny City (1788–1907) was a Pennsylvania municipality located on the north side of the junction of the Allegheny and Ohio rivers, across
from downtown Pittsburgh. It was annexed by Pittsburgh in 1907. The area today is known as the North Side of Pittsburgh, and its waterfront
district, along the Allegheny and Ohio Rivers, as the North Shore.

The area of Allegheny City included the present Pittsburgh neighborhoods of Allegheny Center, Allegheny West, Brighton Heights, California-
Kirkbride, Central Northside, Chateau, East Allegheny, Fineview, Manchester, Marshall-Shadeland, North Shore, Northview Heights, Perry
North, Perry South, Spring Garden, Spring Hill–City View, Summer Hill, and Troy Hill.

The absorption of Allegheny by Pittsburgh began in 1906, was effected in 1907, authorized by the U.S. Supreme Court in a landmark decision
Hunter v. City of Pittsburgh in 1907, and finally approved by the United States Government in 1911. The annexation was controversial at the
time, as an overwhelming majority of Allegheny City residents were opposed to the merger. Previous Pennsylvania law had directed that a
majority of the voters in each merging municipality had to approve the agreement. In 1906, a new law was quietly passed by the State
Assembly, that allowed a majority of the total voters in both combined municipalities to approve the merger. The annexation was rejected by the
residents of Allegheny City by a 2:1 margin, but was approved by much more populous Pittsburgh and the annexation bill passed into law.
Allegheny City residents tried unsuccessfully for years to have the annexation overturned in court.
PENN AVENUE
ENTRANCE TO ALLEGHENY CEMETERY
A RESIDENCE ON ELLSWORTH AVENUE - Pittsburg
ENTRANCE TO UNITED STATES ARSENAL - Pittsburg
ALLEGHENY RIVER AND TROY HILL
VIEW ON FIFTH AVENUE, EAST END - Pittsburg
"Curiosity Shop of the Country"
"THE GREAT ESTATES"
"The whole world knows about Pittsburg..."