1915 Mesta Machine
Planer Mill
1915 Mesta Machine
Turning Naval Shafts
1915 Mesta Machine
Pinion Gears
Industrial
Pittsburgh
"The Real Men of Steel"
ABOUT THESE PHOTOS:
These photos were donated to the SteelCactus Foundation by Douglas Haney.
Photos restored by the SteelCactus Foundation
Photo Antiquities Museum of Pittsburg
531 East Ohio Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
(412) 231-7881
THE ONLY MUSEUM LIKE IT IN THE U.S.!
See photos like these in their original form!
Plus the largest collection of cameras anywhere!
1915 Mesta Machine
Turning a Flywheel on Pit Lathe
1915 Mesta Machine
Machining a Crankshaft
MESTA MACHINE
In 1898, Mesta Machine Co. was created with the
merger of the Leechburg Foundry & Machine Co. and
the Robinson-Rea Manufacturing Co. The merger
was the work of George Mesta, who named the
resulting company after himself.
As a major manufacturer of machinery for steel mills,
the company thrived until the 1950s, but began to
suffer when the U.S. steel industry started to decline.
Mesta filed for bankruptcy in 1983, whereupon it was
acquired by Park Corp., and was divided up in
separate entities including Mestek and WHEMCO.
Mesta's extensive product line included such items as
gas and steam engines for blast furnaces and forging
presses. In the latter category is The Fifty, a 50,000
ton press that was built in 1954-55 and is one of the
largest presses in the world. Owned by Alcoa, It is
still used in producing parts for aircraft, aerospace,
gas turbines, and more.
1915 Mesta Machine
Machining Casting