A tree-filled portion of a farm owned by Anthony Kenny, known as "Kenny's Grove" overlooking the Monongahela River near
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania was a popular picnic spot for local residents since the American Civil War. In 1898, the Monongahela
Street Railways Company, partially owned by prominent banker Andrew Mellon, seeking to increase fare profits on the
weekends, leased the land from the Kenny family in order to create a trolley park at the end of their line. The company's chief
engineer, George S. Davidson, designed the original layout of the park and served as its first manager. A carousel, casino hall,
and dance pavilion were added in 1899. A bandstand was constructed in 1900, while the Old Mill was constructed in 1901, and
the park's first roller coaster, the Figure Eight Toboggan, was added in 1902. After less than a decade, the trolley company no
longer wanted to manage the park. The standing manager, Andrew S. McSwigan, along with partners Frederick W. Henninger
and A. F. Meghan, leased and operated the park as Kennywood Park Limited beginning in 1906.
setstats
INCREDIBLE DETAIL!  CLICK PICTURES TWICE FOR FULL EFFECT
THE CASINO
at KENNYWOOD PARK
NEAR Pittsburg, Pennsylvania
Detroit Publishing Company
Circa 1906