PITTSBURGH
STATION SQUARE
PITTSBURGH'S
RIVER RESORT
PITTSBURGH'S STATION SQUARE
Long ago, people came to the site now known as Station Square to meet
passengers arriving on the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad.  Station Square
has been reinvented into a virtual playground . Spanning 52 acres at the
confluence of Pittsburgh's three rivers and situated at Carson Street at the
Smithfield Street Bridge, Station Square is Pittsburgh's premiere shopping,
dining and entertainment destination.
In 1873, the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad (P&LE) was first chartered and in 1877, construction began on a
rail line connecting Pittsburgh to Youngstown.  In 1879, the P&LE officially opened for commercial traffic and later
became known as the Little Giant for the amount of tonnage that it moved.  After World War II, air and motor traffic
in America began to make considerable inroads into the railroad passenger business.  By 1970, railroad passenger
traffic had all but disappeared.  The great railway complex, covering over forty acres and containing, besides the
huge terminal, an extensive freight station, a seven story warehouse, an express house and several minor buildings
was in danger of becoming a commercial cemetery.  In 1976, the Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation
developed the site as a mixed-use historic adaptive reuse development that gave the foundation the opportunity to
put its urban planning principles into practice.  The property was adapted for new uses: a hotel was added along
with a dock to house the Gateway Clipper fleet and parking areas.
GRAND DINING ROOM
SHERATON STATION SQUARE
CITY OF BRIDGES
ACROSS THE RIVER VIEW
MONONGAHELA INCLINE
& JOE'S CRAB SHACK