|All rights reserved.
|ALL THINGS PITTSBURGH
|In 1905 a man named R.M. Palmer put together a book of the great history and the prominent personalties of Pittsburgh. This book
included over 1,500 portraits and views of our great city. 1,268 classified portraits and 376 historical prints. It tried to
comprehensively cover every major event and all of the places these events transpired and all the men involved in these events. It
is a stunning achievement and at a cost of $15.00 in 1905 an expensive tome. That translates to $405.41 in today's dollars!
The extremely rare photos contained in this book are on display in the following pages and show not only the first pictures of
Pittsburgh, places that are long gone and photos from not just the turn of the 20th Century but the turn of the 19th Century!
|ALL PHOTOGRAPHS COURTESY OF THE PITT DIGITAL LIBRARY
PHOTO RESTORATION DONE BY THE STEELCACTUS FOUNDATION
This draught of Fort Du Quesne, the first and second Fort Pitt, made
by R. Ratzer in 1761, afterward given to George III, later presented by
George IV to the British Museum. This copy was made in 1830 by
W. Osman for the Hon. R. Biddle, of Pittsburgh.
|The Great Fire of 1845
On April 10, 1845, the heaviest blow Pittsburgh ever experienced fell
with crushing force. With relentless fury flames swept away
three-fourths of the business district, inflicting a loss of one life and
a property valuation of nearly nine million dollars ($281,250,000.00
in today's money!), including the famous old Monongahela House,
one of the great hotels of the country.
|FIRST ACADEMY IN WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA
|This picture of the Monongahela Wharf is of date about 1825. The houses from left to right are as follows: 1.) General William Wilkins Mansion, where
Generals Lafayette, Jackson, Taylor, Daniel Webster, Henry Clay, Calhoun, Benton, and all the notables going through Pittsburgh, were entertained. General
Wilkins was the political power in Pennsylvania, and was the Secretary of War, Minister to Denmark and Russia. 2.) Old woolen mill, later the site of the first
free school in Pittsburgh, later becoming the Old South or Second Ward. Later, the Monongahela House. 3.) Irwin's Tavern. A famous old hotel where
people from the East stopped, when going South and West. 4.) Anderson's Mansion. 5.) Bakewell's Glass House. On river are the "pirogues" a craft used by
rivermen which was poled by hand. 6.) The old Smithfield Street covered bridge, was destroyed by the Great Fire of 1845. A high sand bar in the
Monongahela had a crop of rye raised on it, in 1825.
|OLD RAFTSMAN'S TAVERN
Built About 1800
|First Business Building
Erected in 1810
|Second Church of the First German United
Evangelical Protestant Congregation (Smithfield
Street and Sixth Avenue), built in 1815. Torn down in
1833. Parsonage on left at Smithfield Street and
Strawberry Way, built in 1819. Cemetery in middle.
|THE FIRST THEATER IN PITTSBURGH
1817 - 1820
Located on Third Avenue, where
Dollar Savings Bank used to be.
DESTROYED BY THE GREAT FIRE OF 1845
Precursor of the University of Pittsburgh
|OLD BELL TAVERN - BUILT 1841
|DESTRUCTION OF OLD ST. PAUL'S CATHEDRAL
|MERCY HOSPITAL - 1848
|RUINS OF OLD COURTHOUSE
Built 1841. Destroyed by Fire on May 7th, 1882.
|OLD WATSON'S HOMESTEAD
Photo Taken in 1853.
|JACOB EWART'S RESIDENCE
Erected 1841. Centre Avenue, Minersville District
|FORT STREET AT THE POINT
Showing the Old Houses.
|ALLEGHENY COUNTY FAIR!
Held September 22nd to 25th, 1857
|MERCHANTS & MANUFACTURERS BANK
|OLD RESIDENCES AT THE POINT
|GRANT ST. REFORMED CHURCH
Edifice Moved to Dithridge & Bayard Streets
|OLD LAFAYETTE HALL
Birthplace of the Republican Party
|FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
1853 - 1903. Wood Street
|BUILDING OCCUPIED BY UNION BANKING
COMPANY FROM 1859 TO 1865
|OLD CITY HALL
|OLD WESTERN PENITENTIARY