|PRESCOTT'S FUN FACTS
The Sharlot Hall Museum houses much of Prescott's territorial history, and the Smoki and Phippen museums also
maintain local collections. Whiskey Row in downtown Prescott boasts many historic buildings, including The Palace,
Arizona's oldest restaurant and bar, and many other buildings that have been converted to boutiques, art galleries,
bookstores, and restaurants. The city was named after author William H. Prescott, whose writings were popular during
the Civil War.
Prescott also has a place in western folklore with the fact that Virgil Earp, Wyatt Earp's older brother, lived in Prescott
in 1879 and told him of the boom town in Tombstone, Arizona. It is also rumored that Doc Holliday spent some time in
Prescott just before heading to Tombstone.
|SMALL TOWN AMERICA COMES ALIVE
Arizona Territorial Governor John Noble Goodwin selected the original site of Prescott following his first tour of the new
territory. Goodwin replaced Governor John A. Gurley, appointed by Abraham Lincoln, who died before taking office.
Downtown streets in Prescott are named in honor of each of them. Goodwin selected a site 20 miles south of the
temporary capital on the east side of Granite Creek near a number of mining camps. The territorial capital was later
moved to the new site along with Fort Whipple, with the new town named in honor of historian William H. Prescott
during a public meeting on May 30, 1864. Robert W. Groom surveyed the new community, and an initial auction sold
73 lots on June 4, 1864. By July 4, 1864, a total of 232 lots had been sold within the new community.Prescott was
officially incorporated in 1883.
Prescott served as capital of Arizona Territory until November 1, 1867, when the capital was moved to Tucson by act of
the 4th Arizona Territorial Legislature. The capital was returned to Prescott in 1877 by the 9th Arizona Territorial
Legislature. The capital was finally moved to Phoenix on February 4, 1889, by the 15th Arizona Territorial Legislature.
|All rights reserved.
|MORE ARIZONA LINKS!
|4th OF JULY IN PRESCOTT
WITH THE PATNODES