STILL THE STEEL MAKING CAPITAL OF THE WORLD
Description of the photograph reads, “UNIQUE IN THE WORLD --- is the specialty steelmaking complex at Natrona, Pa., 25 miles up the Allegheny River from Downtown Pittsburgh,
where Allegheny Ludlum Steel Corporation melts stainless and other specialty steels in a combination of hot blast cupola and basic oxygen converter (pictured here). It is the only
company in the world melting specialty steels via this method --- thus maintaining Allegheny Ludlum’s position as the world’s leader in specialty steel producing. Many specialty
steels (stainless, tool steel, high temperature metals, vacuum melted superalloys) and titanium were developed and pioneered by Allegheny Ludlum. The company is a division of
Allegheny Ludlum Industries, Inc., Pittsburgh-headquartered billion-dollar-a-year diversified manufacturing corporation with operations at 80 locations throughout the nation.”
Stephen Foster Memorial Building
The Stephen Foster Memorial Building was constructed to pay homage to Stephen Foster, an American
composer. The structure, dedicated on June 2, 1937, adjoins the Cathedral of Learning and faces
Forbes Avenue in Pittsburgh’s Oakland section. The structure designed by Charles Z. Klauder of
Philadelphia at a cost of $500,000, was built in the Gothic style with 35000 cubic feet of Indiana
limestone, 400 tons of steel, and 2500 cubic yards of concrete. The left wing of the Memorial (pictured
here) houses the Center for American Music, which is dedicated to expanding and documenting
knowledge of American music and its cultural and social roles in American life. On display here are
several musical instruments, including one of Foster’s pianos; copies of over 200 of his musical
compositions, examples of recordings, songsters, broadside, programs, and various memorabilia.
All rights reserved.
Pittsburgh
1960's
ALL THINGS PITTSBURGH
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS COURTESY OF THE HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA
PHOTO RESTORATION DONE BY THE STEELCACTUS FOUNDATION

ADDITIONAL VERBIAGE BY THE HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA
NORTH PARK POOL - 1964
North Park Pool was once considered the largest in the world; it holds 2.5 million gallons of water (compared to 20-30,000 gallons in a modern city swimming pool). In the 1930s and
1940s, before swimming pools proliferated in homes throughout the United States, the monstrous North Park Pool seemed a logical response to the “bathing” needs of everyone
living north of Pittsburgh.
Carnegie Institute Building
The entrance to the Carnegie Institute Building, located at 4400 Forbes
Avenue in Pittsburgh’s Oakland neighborhood, was designed by
Longfellow, Alden & Harlow in 1895. The structure stretches 600 feet long
on its Schenley Plaza facade and almost 800 feet long on its Forbes Avenue
side. This eight-acre building is the grandest monument of Beaux Arts
planning in Pittsburgh and appeared in the Encyclopedia Britannica of 1911
as the exemplar of the modern museum. Inside, the building contains six
thousand tons of European marble, some from the very quarry that supplied
Pentelic marble for the Parthenon in Athens. Some 10,000 exhibits of
natural history are on display, with twenty times that number kept in reserve
for scientific study. Today, the museums of art and natural history, the library
and its eighteen branches, the music hall, and the lecture hall support more
activities than any other American cultural institution, except the Smithsonian.
McKEES ROCKS BRIDGE
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette was originally published by John Scull and Joseph Hall as the Pittsburgh Gazette on July 29, 1786, becoming the first newspaper published west of
the Allegheny Mountains. In the 1820s the newspaper’s name was changed to the Pittsburgh Gazette and Manufacturing and Mercantile Advertiser under the leadership of
Morgan Neville, however, the name was changed back to the Pittsburgh Gazette when David McClean took the helm. During the McClean years the newspaper became one of the
chief spokesmen for anti-slavery in the Northern United States. The Post-Gazette finally acquired its current name in the late 1920s, when owner Paul Block bought the
Pittsburgh Press and the Gazette-Times and merged the two papers together, forming the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. It was also under his leadership that the Post-Gazette moved
its advertising, business, circulation, and printing operations from the Gazette Square Building to the Pittsburgh Press facility. The Gazette Square building was constructed in
1915 by George T. Oliver who owned by the Gazette-Times and the Chronicle-Telegraph. The building was originally known as the Chronicle-Telegraph building. Both papers were
published in this building until 1927 when Block created the Post-Gazette. Block later bought the property from then owner, William Randolph Hearst in April, 1960. The building
was demolished in the late 1960s.
THREE RIVERS ARTS FESTIVAL
The Three Rivers Arts Festival was held in the plazas and lobbies of the five buildings of Pittsburgh's Gateway Center through courtesy of the Equitable Life Assurance Society of the
United States, and was sponsored by Carnegie Institute of Art. The juried art on display included paintings, drawings, prints, sculpture, and crafts.  The Festival, a free exposition, was
supported through the generosity of foundations, corporations, interested individuals, business associations, the City of Pittsburgh, and the County of Allegheny. A great deal of the
festival's success rested with its volunteer workers. In 1970 their number more than doubled from 900 to 2,000 since the festival first started in 1960. Since 1961, it had jurors of
national prominence and they have also acted as a consultants in forming and guiding similar arts fairs in several states.
Allegheny Court House & Jail
Saint Paul's Catholic Cathedral
NEVILLE ISLAND