U.S. POST OFFICE
|All rights reserved.
|MORE ARIZONA LINKS!
|The U.S. Post Office in Phoenix, Arizona, also known as Federal Building-U.S. Post Office, is a building
of the United States federal government that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Federal Building-U.S. Post Office in Phoenix, Arizona is significant on a local level in two areas: architecture and
politics/government. A good example of federal architecture adapted to a regional tradition, in this case the Spanish Colonial
Revival, the building was erected during the years 1932 to 1936. Part of an extensive federal building program initiated in the
late 1920s, it housed the main post office of Phoenix for over thirty years, as well as the offices of the judiciary and several
federal agencies. A few years after opening, murals commissioned by Treasury Department were installed in the lobby.
Substantially intact, the Federal Building-Post Office continues to function as a post office branch and its tenants include the
United States Tax Court and assorted federal entities.
The construction of the Post Office marked Phoenix's rapid growth and its important position as the state capital. Founded in
1870-71, Phoenix had a series of post office facilities until 1913, when the U. S. Treasury Department built the Phoenix Post
Office and Courthouse. By 1930, the city had outgrown the building, and Congress appropriated the funds for a new building.
The Phoenix Federal Building would be one of the results of the massive federal building program underway at the time,
partially in an attempt to combat the deepening Depression.
|A landmark in central Phoenix, the Federal Building-Post Office was symbolic of the federal presence in the City and a focus
of local pride. It continues today in those capacities, although construction of a new post office in 1968 absorbed several of its
tenants. The only federal building from the period remaining in the city, the Post Office possesses substantial architectural
merit as an example of Spanish Colonial Revival design.
|The building currently is part of Arizona State University
at the Downtown Phoenix campus.