THE HISTORY OF THE SAN ANTONIO RIVERWALK
In September 1921, a disastrous flood along the San Antonio River took 50 lives. Plans were then developed for flood control of the river. Among
the plans was to build an upstream dam (Olmos Dam) and bypass a prominent bend of the river in the Downtown area (between present day
Houston Street and Villita Parkway), then to pave over the bend, and create a storm sewer.

Work began on the Olmos Dam and bypass channel in 1926; however, the San Antonio Conservation Society successfully protested the paved
sewer option. No major plans came into play until 1929, when San Antonio native and architect Robert Hugman submitted his plans for what
would become the River Walk. Although many have been involved in development of the site, the leadership of former mayor Jack White was
instrumental in passage of a bond issue that raised funds to empower the 1938 “San Antonio River Beautification Project”, which began the
evolution of the site into the present 2.5-mile-long River Walk.
SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS
All rights reserved.
MORE TRAVEL LINKS!
THE WORLD FAMOUS RIVERWALK